It’s no secret that my three-year-old and I are complete suckers for chocolate chip pancakes. In fact, my daughter likes pancakes so much that I think she could live entirely off of pancakes, fruit, milk, and water, if I would let her. Her love of pancakes has inspired me to get a little more creative in the kitchen, so now whenever I have time, I make my own pancakes from scratch rather than turning to Bisquick or Mrs. Butterworth’s. (Not that there’s anything wrong with either of them, mind you—I will still use them both in a pinch and they are delicious. I’m mostly just experimenting with flavors when making homemade chocolate chip pancakes.) Recently I stumbled across a new pancake of my own creation—Toasted Chocolate Chip Pancakes. Before giving you the recipe, I should disclose that these could even pass for more of a dessert pancake rather than breakfast pancakes, but in our house, pancakes are pancakes, so have at it!
Homemade chocolate chip pancakes don’t always stretch a long way in our house – this recipe makes about 14 pancakes, but last time I made them, Natalie polished off 6 or 7 in one sitting, and another few for a snack later. Sometimes I halve the recipe, but it is never enough, so I recommend either making and eating them, or making, eating and refrigerating/freezing them. I’ve found that homemade chocolate chip pancakes do freeze well, as long as you remember to eat them relatively soon. We just pop them in the toaster, add a little butter and enjoy.
Ingredients for Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Pancakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Chips, to taste
Shredded coconut flakes, to taste
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Pancakes: Toasted Coconut Style
If you are looking for an easy recipe, chocolate chip pancakes are about as easy as it gets next to plain, of course. Mix up your favorite recipe and simply toss in the chocolate chips or dot them across the batter after you’ve poured it. This homemade chocolate chip pancakes recipe is still easy but calls for you to actually mix the ingredients rather than combining dry mix and water. (If you want to do it with instant pancake mix, just skip below to the steps with the coconut.)
Follow these steps to make amazing chocolate chip pancakes with toasted coconut as a featured ingredient.
- Turn on your griddle or frying pan to medium heat.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large measuring cup.
- Make a “well” in the center of the dry mix.
- Pour in the milk, melted butter, egg, and vanilla.
- Stir with a fork until all the large lumps are gone.
- Add chocolate chips to taste.
- Coat your pan with cooking spray.
- Place a pinch of shredded coconut on the pan.
- Let it sit for 20 seconds or so.
- Pour chocolate chip pancake batter on top of the coconut.
- Sprinkle another pinch of shredded coconut on top of the pancake batter.
- When the batter bubbles and firms a bit, check for doneness and flip over when golden underneath. (about one minute)
- Cook the other side for about a minute as well, checking for doneness.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate until serving.
If you are looking for a recipe for chocolate chip pancakes that has that little something extra, my Toasted Coconut Chocolate Chip Pancakes may be just the one you are seeking. Even if you already have a favorite homemade chocolate chip pancakes recipe, you can use my recipe to adapt your own and simply tweak it until you love it. Still, when I am in a coconut mood, I find the toasted coconut variety to be the best chocolate chip pancakes I’ve ever eaten. In fact, now even though it’s dinnertime, I am really in the mood for some homemade chocolate chip pancakes with toasted coconut!